Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Understanding Behaviour: Responding Safely

Here are my notes on today's staff meeting on understanding and responding to the high anxiety behaviour we experience at Rawhiti School.

Much of what was discussed aligns with work on Restorative Justice and the book Lost at School. One consideration is how Ross Greene's book sets out to focus on a single missing social skill a child may have. In our teaching environment, we are trying to meet the needs of several children who are missing essential social skills, while trying to keep everyone safe and then teaching them at the same time. No small task.

Tomorrow I will make an effort to great each student I work with during writing by saying their name and giving them a high five/ fist bump. My current writing group is the most challenging I work with. There are many behavioural needs as well as strong learning needs across the board. This is an initial See Me strategy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Accelerating Spelling 2020

 This year Rāwhiti School held Professional Learning Groups to help support our independent teaching goals. Below is my reflection of my goa...